Inlays & Onlays
Bespoke inlays and onlays can repair teeth with more extensive cavities and have the added advantages of strength and aesthetic appeal. They are also a less invasive option as they do not require as much initial preparation as a crown – so more of the healthy tooth is retained. They can help support weakened teeth and prevent further deterioration, making a damaged tooth around 75% stronger.
An inlay is placed within a tooth, while an onlay is applied over the top part of the tooth. They are custom-made to fit the prepared cavity and then cemented into place. An onlay is usually indicated in cases requiring major reconstruction. They are normally made from natural looking resin or porcelain, but they can be made from gold. Because of their ability to blend in, resin or porcelain inlays/onlays can be used to replace unattractive metal fillings.
- Tailored to fit
- More of the healthy tooth is preserved
- They protect and strengthen the tooth
- Natural looking
The treatment process
Inlays and onlays can be successfully fitted in just two appointments.
- During your first visit, we remove the old filling or decay and prepare the tooth.
- We take an impression of the tooth, and send it to a dental technician who will custom-make your inlay or onlay.
- To protect the prepared tooth between appointments, we cover it with a temporary sealant.
- During your second visit, we remove the temporary sealant and make sure the inlay/onlay fits properly and does not interfere with your bite. It is then bonded permanently to the tooth with a strong resin and smoothed off with a polish.
Give us call on 0117 968 4888 to find out more about these customised restorations.« Back to general dentistry